Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Week 4- Thing 9

The discovery journey took me to places that an "information lover" could easily spend all day searching, reading,pondering, replying...... forever. Almost "information overload". Each of the suggested sites were easy enough to search and follow. I discovered the common craft videos on you tube. I love them as they explain these tools in clear and simple ways-quickly. I must for us Type A people. :) While poking around, I grew tired of the blog conversation log because much of the blogs were not something I was interested in reading , even though keywords/topics were in there somewhere. On the other hand, I did find some interesting and though provoking blogs from students... the 21st century learners we are working with now. I value what they think and say and it is fascinating to "see" learning with their eyes and what they value as important learning tools and needs for the future workplace.
They creatively learn "stuff" everyday, why should our classes, where they spend hours a day be so different? Is it the "losing the control" feeling or "this (technology) is just a fad thinking? Do "we" fear the unknown? Are we unwilling to change because "we" know better or this "is the way it has always been done"? Questions to ponder for me in my life and planning. Not only am I a teacher, but I have a 21st century learner (tween) that I am responsible for first. This experience has shed light not only on my teaching, but on my daughter's schooling as well. Am I helping prepare her for this new world? What about her teachers.....?

On another side reflection:
I love to cook and garden. I was comparing how "things" have evolved over time in these areas. Think about how new ways to cook or grow vegetables have spurred new growth, productivity and enjoyment. Often times the "new" ways were (are) rejected or doubted for some of the same reasons we do so in the classroom. For example, today I bought the "Topsy Turvy" tomato growing bag. You plant everything in reverse- plant first (hanging out of the "end"), then the soil and then water. You hang the bag and let it grow. Who would have imagined that to be possible? My husband's agricultural visit to Spain a few years ago highlighted their unique ways of growing crops to adapt to their growing/environment challenges. He was surprised to say the least at what he was able to learn. Okay, enough about applying hobbies to the task at hand, I guess this is my " written mashup" for the day.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

Let us know how the tomatoes turn out.