Monday, June 30, 2008

Week 5 - Thing # 11

I'm back... I've been "playing around" but have not posted my experiences. There were many. While reviewing the award winning lists, I discovered some familiar ones were winners. That helps support my decision making to use them. I liked the categories to help sort through the many sites. I did grow weary of "looking" after awhile because there is so much to "do/see". The cooking category imcooked.com is an interesting place for cooks that want to showcase their recipes and talents. The wiki spaces category is another favorite. Wikispace has a free offer for a private space to use for teachers. I think this will be useful for my Religion classes to start out with. The privacy allows the students to explore/share/write amongst their peers in a safe place. There is a size limit and so I am not sure how much I can have before "we are full". I generally have at least 155 students. I'll be researching this. For starters, I can see this space useful to discuss a book , a specific Scripture passage/book, or artwork that is related to our studies. I can envision my students using this site to write collaboratively. One concern was that the security software on my laptop indicated a potential phishing site at the wiki login. That is a concern. I do have anti-phishing software to check each page-I'll see what happens. Overall this was a resource packed exercise and very helpful in my planning.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

I'm at NECC in San Antonio and there are many sessions on wikis and other Web 2.0 apps. I am thinking of adding to this workshop or having a "beyond 23 things" workshop.