Saturday, July 26, 2008

Week 7 Thing # 16

Wikis:
This is the "official" post about the use of Wiki's. Weeks ago, in one of the previous discoery exercises, I found wikispaces and created an account. I've created a "test" place to play with the format and content that I might use in my real classes. So far, easy to set-up and use. I am not sure about the size limits or restrictions and so I am checking on that . I will have at least 150 students to keep up with and I do not want to have a problem. Minimally, I know that I can use the wiki's to discuss Scripture stories and the literary elements,possible meanings, and reflection in my lessons. There are so many possibilities! Our school computer access is limited to a "lab" that is not always available so I like the wiki's because they can access from home for their posts.
I've setup an "Online" class at classroom 2.0 and am see how the wiki pages work in there. I like that because the class periods can enroll privately and I believe it is ad free. I have enjoyed the wiki examples and once again was lured away to other places to explore. That is fun but time will be an issue once "playtime of summer" is over. I appreciate the model sites from classrooms to cull ideas from from those that have been actively using wiki's in their classes. Again, learning from each other! As far as wikipedia, I use caution in the areas of Scripture and faith research for the students because they are just learning how to analyze source materials and examining their faith beliefs. A solid foundation is important as a reference point for any research, but especially learning that impacts your soul.

1 comment:

ESC1 said...

Wikis are useful for collaboration, but they can also be used to facilitate instruction without collaboration. I'm beginning to keep all my workshop handouts on a wiki, http://esc1library.pbwiki.com.